Saturday, January 10, 2009

More Gaza Inanity

George Bisharat on "border skirmishes":
. . . an armed attack involves serious violations of the peace. Minor border skirmishes are common, and if all were considered armed attacks, states could easily exploit them -- as surrounding facts are often murky and unverifiable -- to launch wars of aggression. That is exactly what Israel seems to be currently attempting.
Israel employing feminine wiles:
More Israeli women are stating Israel’s case to the media, according to reports. The strategy is both sexist and underhanded…
Yvonne!
Despite its amazing war machine, and its state-of-the-art-technology these little rockets rarely show up on any military radars. The Israelis don’t know about them until they’ve landed and that’s what hacks them off.
Metaphors, metaphors:
If you stick a knife in my chest and another one in my foot, then you pull out the one from my foot but drive the one in my chest even deeper, do not expect me not to kick you with my foot that is still bleeding from the wounds you have inflicted.
Find some guts already!:
Is the pro-Israel lobby in America really that powerful? I always chalked the whole "Jews control the media" myth up there with other nut-wing rants like "B. Hussein Obama is a secret racist Muslim", but now I have to pause and wonder. Can someone in the mainstream media find some guts and do some honest reporting on this issue?
Last word on proportionality:
In downtown San Francisco today the several thousand strong protest march featured one sign that caught my eye for its sheer undeniable arithmetical brilliance. Unfortunately the typewriter doesn’t have the "not equal" sign, so I’ll have to use words, but the expression was: 720 not equal 5. Today, it’s 820 not equal 13. Disproportionate? Only if up is toward the sky, and down is toward the dirt.
Update: Naomi Klein boycotts her own publisher! (h/t: Yaacov Lozowick)

Crossposted on Soccer Dad

No comments: